Sunday, December 2, 2012

Missing Memphis: A Prelude by Noah--Never Shall I Forget

So this isn't the much-awaited third part of my chronicle about searching for our lost Bagle Hound Memphis. Instead, it's a poem/flash non-fiction by my little brother. I haven't gotten to this part of the story yet (mostly because my doctoral studies are kicking my butt and sucking up all my writing time and energy), but Noah, my then-13-year old brother, who had just arrived in New Mexico for the summer, was instrumental in *SPOILER ALERT ;-)* finding Memphis.

He wrote it for a class assignment in which he had to write a poem based on the theme of Elie Wiesel's "Never Shall I Forget":
Never shall I forget that day, the first day we searched for him. Never shall I forget the trials we faced that summer. The random hail that pelted the car. Feeling the crunch of the dry dirt under my boot. Tasting the nothingness in my dry mouth. Never shall I forget hearing the desert wolves howling from afar. 
Never shall I forget losing every game of Munchkin we played.
Never shall I forget seeing the man’s face that drove the car. Seeing the hound flee in fear of the mechanical beast. Never shall I forget chasing after the furry bullet as it ripped across the ground. Never shall I forget the ease that we all felt on the ride home.
Never.
Maybe I'm bias, but I think it's just the kind of thing a high school freshman could have published, if the right venue were found. Any suggestions?

Questions? Quibbles? Controversies?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin