Friday, May 20, 2011

Summer Gaming List

So let's be honest. You didn't really think I was going to be spending my whole summer reading, did you?

For the same reasons that I have very little time to read for fun, I also have very little time for gaming during the school year. So I generally develop a nice little backlog of games I haven't been able to play. Fair warning: I'm cheap/poor, so most of these aren't new.

3D Dot Game Heroes: I started playing this last summer and absolutely loved it! Then I got the dreaded Saved-Game glitch, in which the game crashes whenever you try to save! I got caught up with other stuff, naturally, and never really looked into it. But this past semester, a friend of mine with the same glitch let me in on a little secret: if you run the game off of the disc instead of the hard install, the glitch is prevented! And as this game is best played with lots of time to devote to it, this is the perfect opportunity to go back and play this awesome retro love note.

Pokemon: I got back into Pokemon last year when I got Dragon Quest IX--which, I realize, may come as an insult to the DQ fans--and it's become my favorite de-stresser whenever school gets crazy. I got particularly obsessed with it after reading Robert Coover's Universal Baseball Association--and, for the second time, I promise, I will come back to this author and his amazing book in a future post! Well one day, my wife and I were chatting and the topic came to me playing a lot of Pokemon lately. She had a lot of questions about the series, and it suddenly occurred to me that she'd never played it! We got to talking about it and the new Black and White versions. Long story short, we got them for our anniversary this year and have been playing them all week! My wife is addicted! I've created a Poke-monster! (See what I did there?)

Dead Space 2: Severed: As I said in my last post, I really like the side-stories of this series, so I'm anxious to get back to the games' only returning characters. I just have to wait till the PlayStation Store comes back so I can download it...

GoldenEye 007: I don't buy FPSs too often; I have a very "you seen one, you seen them all" mentality. But this is an excellent replacement for Team Fortress 2, which I've been known to get obsessed with in summers past. Plus, both of my brothers have it, so we still get to game together despite being in three different states.

Chrono Trigger: I missed the game growing up, but I heard so much about it that I was very excited when it came out on DS...two and a half years ago...But it just came out for Virtual Console, and I downloaded it yesterday! I can't believe I'm only discovering this game! It's amazing! I've only just made it to the future (I'm trying to savor it), but I plan on enjoying it throughout the summer!

As I mentioned with my reading list, there are definitely others I've no doubt forgotten or haven't realized I need to play yet. And I'll most certainly be sharing my thoughts on most of these!

So what will you, dear readers, be playing this summer? And what are you suggestions for my list?

2 comments:

notthatkindofdoctor said...

Dude, it is tragic that Kirby's Epic Yarn did not make this list. #surpriseawesome

Ben Villarreal said...

Arg! I know! It's on the extended cut ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin